For flat roof systems, TPO is the roofing material of choice for commercial and residential property owners. TPO roofing systems offer many of the benefits of EPDM, minus many of the drawbacks. It can be installed in a single membrane, comes in many colors, is energy-efficient, and is long-lasting. TPO roofing also has excellent grease resistance, making it a preferred roofing type for commercial enterprises like restaurants.
Pickard Roofing has been installing TPO roofing for many years, and we’re the experts at TPO installation in the triangle. We can answer your questions about TPO roofing and help you decide whether this type of roofing is right for you. Here’s what you need to know.
What is TPO Roofing?
TPO Roofing was first released in the 1990s as an alternative to PVC roofing. TPO is made of a blend of rubbers that have been combined for durability and versatility. These roofs consist of sheets of thermoplastic polyolefin that have been heat welded together to cover the roof in one membrane.
Commercial building owners favor TPO because it's a more energy-efficient option than EPDM. TPO roofing is popular due to its superior performance, durability, and excellent protection from water damage.
What is TPO Roofing Made Of?
TPO roofing is actually made of three bonded layers:
- Thermoplastic polyolefin base layer
- Polyester-reinforced fabric center, aka “scrim”
- Thermoplastic polyolefin top layer
Each thermoplastic polyolefin layer is manufactured with fillers such as fiberglass, talc, and carbon fiber. These fillers add to the TPO’s strength and flexibility.
The center layer of reinforced polyester gives the TPO membrane even more flexibility and the ability to be rolled out easily onto the roof. Unlike other roofing options like PVC, TPO roofing does not contain environmentally harmful chemicals such as chlorine.
TPO Roofing Pros/Cons
We’ve covered TPO Roofing pros and cons extensively on our website, but we’ve also listed some of the pros and cons below.
- Low cost. TPO roofing costs less than a PVC roof. Prices vary depending on the condition and size of the roof.
- Ease of maintenance. TPO roofing is resistant to punctures, mold, dirt, stains, and mildew. It never needs to be pressure washed.
- Energy efficiency. TPO roofs are highly energy-efficient and can lead to significant energy savings after installation.
- Flexible applications. TPO can be used on residential roofs as well as commercial roofs.
- Attractive. TPO roofing comes in a range of colors, including white, black, and gray.
- UV resistant. TPO roofing is highly resistant to UV rays - in all colors.
- Heat weldable. TPO roofing forms incredibly strong heat weldable seams.
TPO roofs do have some weaknesses. This is why it’s important to work with an experienced roofing contractor that can educate you about the various qualities of TPO roofing and help you decide if TPO roofing is right for you.
- Quality variations. Some types of TPO roofing are higher quality than others. It’s essential to choose the proper TPO roofing for your building.
- Seams. TPO roofing has many seams. That's why it’s crucial to hire a roofer that can perform heat welding properly.
- Cracks in lower quality TPO. Lower quality TPO roofing can develop surface cracks.
For Residential or Commercial Roofs
TPO’s color range and curb appeal make it a solid choice for residential roofing as well as commercial contracting. It's also a very practical choice for commercial flat roofs. TPO roofing is the most popular choice for commercial property owners with low-slope roofs.
Are you considering TPO roofing for your commercial or residential property? Wondering if TPO is the suitable roofing material for your needs? It sounds like you need a roofing expert to help you make your decision. The roofing professionals from Pickard Roofing can help. We help clients like you make important roofing decisions all the time. Contact us for an estimate or consultation at any time.
Want a Rewarding Career in Construction? Work with us.
Do you love roofing? Want to spend your days on a roof, looking down at the world? Join the Triangle's #1 roofing company. Check out our job opportunities today.
At Pickard Roofing<, we think Design. Craft. Renew. We are experienced in all types of roofing systems- and provide the right roofing design and selective craftsmanship for renewing our customer’s assets. We invite sustainable building customers to give us a call for your free evaluation. For over 90 years Pickard Roofing Company has installed countless metal, tile, slate, TPO, EPDM, and all types of shingle roofing in the Triangle. Our services include residential, commercial, custom architectural metal fabrication, and historical renovation.