Don’t wait until your flat roof or low slope roof is leaking. Your roof is a long-term investment and being proactive will save you money and headaches in the long run. The most important thing you can do is to get to know your roof. A roofing evaluation from an experienced commercial or residential roofing expert is a vital first step. This will provide you with a baseline for what you need to know about protecting and ensuring the longevity of your roof.
What you should expect from your roofing evaluation:
- Get the visuals - Ask your roofing contractor to provide pictures or drone footage of your flat roof. Chances are you haven’t seen it in awhile if ever.
- Your roofing inspection should include an evaluation of the current roof membrane surface for cracks, loose laps, splits, and blistering.
- An assessment of ponding water or drainage issues
- A thorough investigation of vertical items that meet the horizontal roof membrane: air conditioning units, solar units, etc. Most leaks occur where the roof membrane meets a vertical element and this is where the majority of shortcuts are taken during installation.
- Establish a schedule to re-evaluate your flat roof every year. Debris or blocked drainage can become a long-term issue. Schedule your recurring roof maintenance now.
If you want to get started before your professional roofing evaluation, here is an online assessment tool for all roofing types. It provides an outline for what you should look for when evaluating all roofing types and should better prepare you for when you meet with your roofing contractor.
If you are currently experiencing leaks with your low slope roof, you can do an initial inspection to speed the repair process. Look for leaks near penetrations, on the perimeter, and near condensation areas. Unless your roof membrane has outlived its life expectancy, penetration areas are the most likely culprits. This article provides a good overview on how to check for typical low slope roof leaks.
Finally, if your low slope roof membrane is at the end of its life expectancy, or if you fear that you have problems due to faulty installation - a new roof membrane may be your only course of action. Of course, before you make this investment you will want to be sure that the job is done right. Do your due diligence to ensure that you are working with an experienced, reliable roofing contractor who will warranty their work and will be able to service your ongoing maintenance needs.
Now that you’ve gotten better acquainted with your flat roof, remember to continue to pay attention it and keep an eye out for the small stuff. As Jim Pickard always says, “The devil is in the details.”
Before repairing or replacing your low slope roof, check out our video. Pickard Roofing has over 90 years of experience in low slope roofing. Our motto is Things of Quality Have No Fear of Time and we are committed to providing you with quality roofing solutions.
At Pickard Roofing, we think Design. Craft. Renew. We are experienced in all types of roofing systems- and provide the right roofing design and selective craftsmanship for renewing our customer’s assets. We invite sustainable building customers to give us a call for your free evaluation. For over 90 years Pickard Rooﬁng Company has installed countless metal, tile, slate, TPO, EPDM, and all types of shingle roofing in the Triangle. Our services including residential, commercial, custom architectural metal fabrication, and historical renovation. Contact us today to schedule your professional roofing evaluation 919-682-5702.